Wasting Time 101

Monday, January 10, 2011


Winter break for most students = break
Winter break for basketball players = the opposite of "break"

Today, I had basketball-related activities from 9:30am to 7:30pm, with a 2-hour break to shower and eat lunch. Counting down the days till classes start? Quite possibly.

However, some days we'll get lucky and have our practice session early, and then the rest of the day to ourselves. I often manage to waste every free minute granted to me. Here's how the process usually goes:

First, I get back to my room and say to myself “Well, before I do anything productive, I’m going to relax on the couch for a bit.” I find that the most exciting thing on the television is a documentary about the the history of irrigation systems, and opt for putting in a DVD.

By this time, I’ve probably found something to eat, maybe wheat thins (if I’m feeling extra healthy), or (more likely) chocolates. I can't just sit there eating, un-entertained. That's preposterous.

Now, committing to watch an entire movie is out of the question. I’m not going to waste 2 full hours of my life sitting motionless on the couch...I have productive things to do! I might even check 1-2 things off of my To Do list that has been growing steadily for the past month. (Q: What's more fun than applying for jobs online? A: EVERYTHING.)

So I pop in a DVD of a T.V. series. I'll watch one quick episode and move on to more worthwhile activities

Recently, I decided to watch the first season of Friends. I actually have have never been remotely interested in Friends, to be honest. But it was only $15 at Wal Mart and I couldn’t afford not to buy it!

Now, here comes the problematic part: Episode 1 is done, and...with just a click of the remote I'm onto episode 2....and then 3....

 I keep thinking to myself, "Just one more episode," and, concurrently, "Just one more chocolate." Funny the direct correlation between the number of watched episodes and the number of consumed chocolates.

And that, my friends, is how I watched 9 episodes of Friends in one day. While eating almost the entire box of the chocolate pictured below:
yeah, not your average box of chocolate.
..I'm too embarrassed to put up the after picture!

1 comment: