Facebook Etiquette

Wednesday, January 12, 2011


Now a day, everyone spends countless hours on Facebook – and I’m definitely no exception.  I mean, what’s more fun than looking through 700 pictures of someone you never talked to in person? Not to mention productive.

Anyway, I’m no Facebook police but I have a couple of pet peeves when it comes to status posting.  First off, I have this one “friend” who never fails to like his own status. I mean, isn’t that implied?

Every single update looks something like this:  
Bob Imtooawesome Smith is going to the grocery store.
         *Bob Imtooawesome Smith likes this.

Yes, he also happens to have one of those highly-coveted made up middle names of complimentary adjectives.

Mark Zuckerberg needs to disable the feature that lets you like your own stuff. And perhaps the whole make-your-own-dumbass-middle-name thing too. If you don’t like your status, don’t post it. Deal?

Secondly, and personally, most annoyingly is the drastic overuse of the expression “FML” in Facebook statuses.  I mean there is a time and a place for everything, and www.fmylife.com is definitely a funny website. But, it seems like all my “Friends” seem to use these three letters EXCESSIVELY.

Reading statuses like this make me want to give my "friends" something real to complain about..
         "studying for finals ...fml."
         "have to go to work/school...fml."
          "tired and bored...fml."

I'm sorry, but none of those things seem particularly out of the ordinary. Actually, your horrible, intolerable life seems just. like. everyone. else's. I'm just waiting for the day I open my newsfeed and read "Didn't win the lottery today...fml." 
So the next time you think about typing those 3 letters at the end of your update, ask yourself: would my status update make the cut for this book:
Chances are "I have to wake up and go to class" probably wouldn't get published.


No comments

Post a Comment