Netflix Newbie: Seeking Recommendations

Monday, January 26, 2015

Stephen and I welcomed ourselves to the 21st century Friday night and....got Netflix!!

We held out for so long because it was thoroughly entertaining telling friends "I don't have Netflix" and seeing them react with an exaggerated, appalled gasp, as if I actually had said "I don't have running water OR electricity."

However, the winter weather, end of NFL season*, and lack o' cable got the best of us.

Recap of our progression as a couple: We moved in together in August, got a kitten in October, and got Netflix in January. Our chances of leaving our apartment for, well, anything decrease by the month! If only I grocery shopped regularly.

*I realize there's still the Super Bowl left but the PATRIOTS vs the SEAHAWKS? It's like the two most cocky boys in high school competing for Prom King. Yawn. The commercials better be legendary.

I believe one of the most attractive qualities is when someone knows when to ask for help. So, I beseech thee, what am I supposed to watch on Netflix!?

Tywin is so not impressed with our new sedentary Netflix lifestyle.
So far the series deemed necessary to watch by some friends are:

1. Sherlock
2. House of Cards
3. Orange is the New Black
4. Gilmore Girls

...any other must sees? Which is the best?

I'm reading the memoir Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison now, so decided to hold off on watching that immediately, but I should finish the book up this week. Stephen and I started House of Cards and are almost done with Season 1 (oops! Very Important Question: How does one go to sleep at a decent hour when one has Netflix? Also: who knew I could give a crap about a show about politics? So addicting!)

We also watched two documentaries** that were really eye-opening: Food, Inc. and Living on One Dollar. My whole life I've been an "I eat-whatever-then-I-exercise-a-lot-to-make-up-for-it" person but Food Inc. has me considering vegetarianism. Very disturbing how food is mass-produced in this country. Watch it! But be forewarned: you're not going to be able to look at a chicken the same way.

**Because getting off the couch on weekends is so overrated.

Living On One Dollar followed 4 college boys as they lived in Guatemala for 56 days, mimicking making $1/day, and trying to live in the extreme circumstances. I've had some exposure to the horrendous levels of poverty around the world, because I've sponsored a World Vision child for a while now (and my parents have sponsored one for my whole life). Still, it's always good to keep things in perspective and expose yourself to what's going on in all parts of the world. Check out the Living on One website and if you have any interests/questions about World Vision Child Sponsorship feel free to let me know!



So, we've enjoyed Netflix so far but I feel like it's a huge, deep well that I've only barely skimmed the surface of the water. What should we watch? What shouldn't we watch? Assume I know nothing about television. Let's face it, I don't. I got Netflix in calendar year 2015, after all.

2 comments:

  1. oh, there are soooo many good shows! One of my favorites is Friday Night Lights...i think the whole series is on there. So is Frasier, if you're in the mood for something funny. You'll love Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about Friday Night Lights! Thanks for the recommendations! I'm quite excited, though I fear my productivity will plummet :)

      Delete