Mom's Meals: Homemade Pizza Crust

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Of all recipes, this easy pizza crust recipe is one I essentially have memorized. Growing up, homemade pizza was one of my favorite meals. Even as an adult (wait, really?),  if there was one food I had to eat everyday for the rest of my life, I'd undoubtedly choose pizza. (All other answers to that hypothetical and highly impractical question are hereby proclaimed incorrect ;)

And, although I've enjoyed trying essentially every pizza place in Madison (Salvatore's Tomato Pies newly opened on E. Johnson being my new favorite!) there's something extra special about making the dough from scratch. And, as I always mention, if I can make it, so can you!

Ingredients (for crust)

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 ½ cups flour
2 TBS oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
A pizza pan with tiny holes (not too big)
Grease for pan

Recommended Ingredients (for toppings)
Tomato Sauce
Garlic, Basil, and Parsley
Shredded Cheese
Any other toppings! (pepperoni, peppers, and onions shown)

What to do:

1 Sprinkle yeast on top of water and sugar in large mixing bowl.  Let sit a few minutes. 


2 Stir in flour, oil and salt.  Beat about 25 strokes. 


3 Cover bowel with towel and let rise in warm place about 15-30 minutes. (You can actually preheat the oven for ~2 minutes, then turn it off, and put covered bowls in the oven while it rises)

After the dough has risen.
4 Preheat oven to 425oF.

5 With well greased fingers, spread dough on a greased pizza pan.  Prick dough evenly with fork.


6 Bake at 425oF in lower portion of oven for about 7 minutes, until crust is slightly brown.

7 Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.

I recommend trying Penzey's Spices if you haven't!
8 Top with tomato sauce, basil, garlic powder, parsley, shredded mozzarella cheese and other toppings.


9 Bake for about 7 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.


I've had multiple dinner parties where I make pizza crusts and guests bring over toppings - this works out really well because there are all kinds of different toppings for pizza, and guests tend to bring over things I would never think to buy: prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes being some of my favorites. Any other pizza toppings (or crust recipes) I should try? Would love to hear! I'm always looking for excuses to indulge in more pizza.


1 comment:

  1. You should try making it deep dish style! Just form the crust in your cast iron skillet and then cook it in the oven. Also, you can put the crust in pre-topping for a few minutes so that you can cook it for less time with the cheese and sauce; this means your crust will definitely be cooked while your cheese is still gooey!

    ReplyDelete