Snap Judgments

Thursday, January 20, 2011

The first day of classes always makes me realize how we, as humans, are so prone to making snap judgments about other people. Okay, maybe it's just me ... and I do realize that I need to work on being less judgmental. If there was a way to quantify this, I might add it to my list of New Years Resolutions. 

(Though I imagine it meeting a similar demise to my vaguely-unquantifiable-on-purpose "Eat less candy" pact I occasionally make with myself. Entire bag of "chewy sweet-tart" ballish things? Didn't stand a chance this afternoon. Yes, I even eat the obscure hard-to-name candies - no discrimination.)

I mean, I'm a big believer in the Golden Rule, and no one likes to be judged - But sometimes it's like, I'm sorry, honey, but if you're wearing high heels and a dress in a snow storm, I'm not going to bet on you being the brightest bulb in the tanning bed.

But, how many of us have walked out of a first class, where all we did was introduce ourselves - thinking Man, that was awful, I cannot wait to be done with this class! Or, even more critically (and usually a little later in the semester), How does that professor have his/her PhD?

Still, our whole lives we've been drilled to "Not judge a book by its cover." But, now we are reminded constantly of the utmost importance of First Impressions.
There's even quotes like "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."
Now, I thought we were all agreeing to ignore book covers? So why are interview outfits the end-all be-all?!

Reminds me of two other contradictory quotes "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and "Out of sight, out of mind." I think that everyone wants to believe that their long-distance relationship falls in the former category, but then, why does the second exist? In the case high school crushes, I think the first quote applies to girls (read: Facebook stalking) and the second quote applies to boys (read: watching ESPN).

Yes, I realize this post has absolutely no focus and I'm now rambling on a tangent. To add to that, here's a picture of the sweet tart candies I was referring to:
Only my bag was, maybe, 3 times bigger?

Yep, there is officially no focus to this blog post.
Please, Don't Judge Me. :)

No comments

Post a Comment