Excuse Me

Monday, January 24, 2011


I did not post on Friday. When thinking of how to tell you guys how I could not possibly have posted NO MATTER WHAT on Friday because the campus squirrels crawled through my window, invaded my room and every time I got near my computer threatened to shoot me with their bazookas, I was reminded of a story my mom once told me about excuse-making.

Basically, she and a group of other people had received invitations from this guy to some event. (yeah, I’m a really good listener).

For simplicity’s sake, let’s call the guy Mr. Pitt and say he invited her plus friends to, perhaps, the Oscars.
Sounds about right. Anyway, my mom found herself running late to the Oscars. So, when she got there, she immediately approached Mr. Pitt and said, “Hi Mr. Pitt, I’m so sorry that I’m late.”


The Oscars ensued as planned. After the Oscars, Mr. Pitt came up to my mom and said, “Hey, I just wanted to let you know, every single person who I invited today was late, too. It wasn’t just you. The difference was, with every other person who came in late, they came up to me and immediately gave me some sob story about why they were late. How their car wouldn’t start, or they hit all the red lights, or they had so much to do. You were the only person who didn’t give some pathetic excuse, and I appreciate that.”

And that is why I’m not telling you that the 4 hour bus trip and hotel WITHOUT wireless internet (apparently run by Mennonites) had nothing to do with me not posting on Friday.

No comments

Post a Comment