7 Down, 1 To Go

Monday, January 17, 2011


Wednesday is the first day of my last semester of undergraduate classes. The Final Round. The End of a chapter. The last Hoorah. (Yeah, I know you get it. This is a blog, redundancy is essential to compensate for my finite ideas.)

I know they say, “The only constant is change.” But, in reflection, it’s crazy to see how many things are so different now than they were 4 years ago. For instance, I distinctly remember saying during freshmen orientation: “Yeah, I have a Facebook, but I don’t get on much at all.”

HA. Now the only person on the planet who signs on to Facebook more than me is Mark. What do you mean Mark who? Of course Mr. Zuckerberg and I are on a first-name basis.

I’m currently trying to convince him to change the spelling of his last name to Zucker-burgh, for that black and yellow flair. (LET’S GO STEELERS.)

Look, here he is contemplating my surname alteration suggestion.

Anyway, more has changed in my 4 years here than my enhanced social networking capabilities.

For instance, I am much better at identifying letters in the Greek alphabet. (No, I didn’t take Greek – I took much more worthwhile electives like Latin and Acting.) But how am I supposed to properly make fun of people in sororities/fraternities if I can’t read the letters daily embossed across their chests? 
--No offense to the 8 or so people who I’m friends with who are “Greek.” And yes, to my 2 teammates who are Greek – you 2 are definitely 2 of the 8:)

But, more seriously, I feel that college has taught me a lot of lessons, and although they’re not all happy lessons– they’re useful. Plans can fail, and people can let you down, friendships can fade away, people can change, and you can change, too.  At the end of the day, though, your family is there for you, and so is God.

I like laughing at my freshmen self – and how I thought I had my whole life planned out then, when I was just 18 years old! Now I’m 22, and admit that I don’t have any idea where I’ll be a year from now, but I’ve found a sense of inner peace despite all the fear of the unknown (at least, I’m working on it.) And perhaps that peace, more than balancing balance sheets or writing research papers, is what I learned in 4 years. And I still have yet to “kick it in” on the Home Stretch! The Last Dance. The Grand Finale. You get the idea.

No comments

Post a Comment