Wordplay Wednesday: Tis the Season

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Can you believe it's one week until Christmas Eve!? There's (oddly) no snow on the ground in Wisconsin (not complaining), so it doesn't quite feel that close to me. Growing up, I always said my favorite holiday was either Christmas Eve or Easter. I think I thought this made me super original and artsy. (Truly, the original hipster.) (Not even close.)

But I really do love Christmas Eve! My family always goes to candlelight service at Church where we sing "Silent Night" in the dark and try not (or try, depending on the year) to drip wax all over. This year I'm heading to Florida (to spend the holiday with Stephen's family!), so it will be a sandy Christmas rather than a white one :)

This week I wanted to share 5 fun words to sprinkle into conversation at the upcoming holiday gatherings:

quixotic - adj. 1. (sometimes initial capital letter) resembling or befitting Don Quixote. 2. extravagantly chivalrous or romantic; visionary, impractical, or impracticable.

From Google: exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic of impractical

While my mother was reasonable about her expectations, my father always had the quixotic idea that all 30 of our extended family members would get along perfectly at Christmas; he was always disappointed.

conflate - verb (use with object) 1. to fuse into one entity; merge.

From Google: combine (two or more texts, ideas, etc.) into one.

"You're conflating two separate things," Ashley drunkenly said to her great aunt, "just because I'm not married doesn't mean I can't have a baby."

insouciant - adj. 1. Free from concern, worry, or anxiety; carefree; nonchalant.

While Max constantly fretted about the next topic of conversation, Matilda maintained an insouciant attitude all throughout the Christmas Eve dinner, completely unconcerned with the opinions of her in-laws.

lurid - adj. 1. gruesome; horrible; revolting. 2. glaringly vivid or sensational; shocking 2. terrible in intensity, fierce pasion, or unrestraint.

One good thing about being stuck at the kids' table is avoiding my uncle's annual lurid tales.

titillating - adj. 1. arousing or exciting in an agreeable, often sexual way.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, I spent most of my time sitting in my cubicle pretending to be listening to music, but actually listening to the titillating office gossip.

That's all for this week :) Oh, and quick a personal note in case the holidays got you stressed: Some people might find sending Christmas cards easy, I am not one of those people. I'm trying to accomplish my goal of sending 25 out this year, and it's been tough! We also just don't have a tree. We thought about it, but just put up one strand of lights instead. I know being a so-called blogger and not going all-out full-fledged balls-to-the-wall with holiday decor is unheard of, but you know what, I think it's important to prioritize and also realize that you're doing the best you can! Wishing you all a relaxing week leading up to the big day.



--

p.s. If you're looking for shopping ideas: my Shop Small Gift Guide, All Book Gift Guide, and the best experience gift I've ever given (not safe for vegans ;)

No comments

Post a Comment