101 in 1001: 3 Month Update

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

As I mentioned here, I decided to compile a list of 101 items to do in 1001 days to establish concrete things to try in the next 2.75 years. I wouldn't necessarily call all of them "goals" (unless upgrading your iPhone is generously labeled as a goal these days?), but they also are not merely mundane life-sucking tasks. Sure, I could have (all too easily) made a list of 101 things to do around my apartment/car: clean out the fridge, scrub the shower, make my trunk usable again, determine which air mattress actually works and just get rid of the other ones for the love of God, but that wouldn't have been as fun.

Also? I don't want to do those things. Maybe my life is elevated by the fact that the trunk of my car is filled with a growing collection of mysterious items. I always wanted to be enigmatic.

Now that I'm 106 days in to this challenge (12 down, 89 to go!), I thought I'd give a quick update and highlight some completed items:

2. Try 10 New Madison Restaurants
I don't take many food pics- but here's a Moscow Mule in a cute copper cup!
This one? Came way too easily. I honestly didn't even attempt to visit new restaurants in honor of this list; it just came naturally. The burgeoning farm-to-table restaurant scene is something I've always loved about Madison, and my favorite thing to make for dinner is reservations, so I hit my tenth new restaurant (Madison Sourdough for brunch, yum!) a mere 104 days in. It's officially safe to say I eat out WAY too much.The picture above is from newly-opened Cento, which boasts some of the best cocktails in the city. My favorite of the 10 was probably tucked-away Natt Spil, which I've now been to multiple times (oops!) We can all agree that #54 is going to be the real challenge here.

4. Complete my first Wisconsin triathlon!

the things I do for free tees
It may not have been pretty, but I finished! Posts about training for it and completing it.

7. See a Cubs' Game at Wrigley Field.
We got pretty good seats, that weren't too pricey!
The stadium is so charming! I've now been to 4 Major League Baseball Stadiums: PNC Park (Pittsburgh Pirates), Miller Park (Milwaukee Brewers), Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs), and Yankee Stadium (you guessed it, NY Yankees). And, although PNC Park is my favorite (typical Pittsburgh-er), Wrigley Field comes in second. It is very historic and feels small and cozy. Also, it's situated in the fun, young neighborhood of Wrigleyville. I'd recommend checking out the home of the lovable losers if you're in the midwest.
Their logo overtime (I always find that stuff fascinating)
14. See a New Broadway Show
Featuring the car that dropped me off. (Kidding, I obviously took the subway.)
I saw Of Mice and Men starring James Franco. And cried. Three distinct times. I always thought I preferred musicals over plays but I absolutely loved this play, and now think I should prioritize seeing plays over musicals. (Madison Friends: it's showing at Sundance 608 theater on 11/8 &11/10 through National Theatre Live - I highly recommend!) 

34. Explore California
Chilling by the GGB, NBD.
Stephen and I had a great time doing just that! I wrote a post on 10 things I didn't do while on vacation where I shared some pretty Cali snaps, and I am working on writing miniature guides to the places we explored - so look for those!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my progress on my list....but disappointed with item #39! I still haven't been able to think of 101 things! I've only been able to come up with 83 items, so I still need to brainstorm 18 more things that I want to tackle. Any non-cleaning-related ideas appreciated :)

2 comments:

  1. Adopt a rescue pet. Yay Twin!

    #52 is going to have to wait for a while, I suppose.

    Try going without driving or riding in a car for 2 weeks. It should be do-able in Madison, and also good for fitness and the environment!

    And what are your writing goals for the next few months?

    ReplyDelete