Ingenious Empathy Cards

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Remember around Valentine's Day when I confessed my girl crush on illustrator Emily McDowell? Well, she's done it again with the most heart-warming empathy cards! When I took the "Strength Finder" assessment for a class back in the day, one of my top 5 strengths was "empathy." Still, when a friend is in a particularly tough situation, I find myself stumped as to what to say or do.

Enter, these cards:



I love how Emily captures sentiments that can be hard to put into words. I also (secretly) loathe the phrase "Everything happens for a reason!" so adore the middle card. I think it'd be applicable even for the "less serious" struggles of everyday life. She offers some cancer-specific cards, too. I think many of these would be a compassionate gesture towards someone struggling with mental illness, too. It can be tough reaching out to someone when you don't quite understand what they're going through — but that's okay! We're only human, and admitting you don't know exactly what to say is perfectly fine. Just don't let fear prevent you from reaching out!

 Just thought I'd share with you all, as I know many of us are supporting friends/family members through hard times, or are going through those times personally! Sending a little empathy your way! xx

No comments

Post a Comment