Melted

Friday, March 21, 2014

Today the high in Madison is 55 degrees.

Can you hear the angels rejoicing? I don't think they've been this excited since a virgin gave birth in a manger a couple thousand years ago.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, so it's not like I never saw snow before moving to Wisconsin. I was accustomed to 2-hour delays, the occasional snow day, shoveling (read: watching my parents shovel), and sledding. All of those things are nice components of winter (unless you're actually doing the shoveling, I would suppose, not that I would know), and I'm a big fan of seasons.

But after this winter in Madison, I'm all for the permanent eradication of winter.

IT.

WAS.

SO. 

COLD.

Like can't start my car, don't go outside with any of your skin showing due to immediate frost bite risk, cold.

Every single flight delayed for the entire winter, cold.

If you ever go outside without a hat, even to walk 4 blocks, your ears hurt for hours, cold.

WHY did ANYONE ever CHOOSE to settle in this part of the country, cold.

You're driving to work and it's negative 19 degrees; but feels like negative 45, cold.

the lakes freeze every year, but this year was no exception (source of picture)
I heard that this is the 10th coldest winter in the history of Wisconsin since they, like, started recording this stuff (centuries ago?) - and it's the coldest in my company's history (since 1979).

What a great time to live in the cheese state! And a good first winter for Stephen to live in Madison! The way guests will describe trips to Madison is, "It's a whole different type of cold here."

There was also an trip last year where we were trying to walk to a piano bar, but starting running because we were freezing. Becky infamously proclaimed, "My eyes are cold." Which truly is how it felt most of this winter. Parts of your body you didn't even know existed were cold.

Although I've heard great things about the movie about "Frozen", I didn't see it because I thought the title hit a little too close to home. I think its sequel that clearly should be called "Melted" will be more up my alley.

But, now, there are signs of spring! I can see grass! The sidewalks aren't entirely covered in a treacherous layer of ice! I ran outside yesterday and didn't contract frostbite! I didn't wear a coat to work today (just a warm sweatshirt)! There are birds. There is life. There is hope. 

And, although all "sconnies" know that it will likely snow again, I'm hopeful we won't hit negative 19 in March or April.

I am happy to report, in honor of these warmer days, I may be changing my family motto to the most uplifting phrase I can think of right now: Winter is leaving. 

No comments

Post a Comment