The Elder Wand

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sometimes the best time to write is when you feel as if you have nothing to say, because, if you do end up saying something, anything, it's a refreshing experience, as you've exceeded your own expectations.

It's kind of like the one day of the week in college when I didn't wear sweatpants. Everyone in class would be all "Oh, my gosh, Joyce, you look so gorgeous in those jeans." Just kidding, that never happened. I went to Bucknell.

If you didn't wear a dress, pearls, and carry a $250 bag to an 8 am class you better reference your summer home or we're all totally going to assume you're white trash. However, when I did wear skinny jeans and my hair down rather than the Nike sweats-ponytail failproof combo, all my teammates would eagerly ask "What's the occasion!?" So that was essentially the same thing as getting hoardes of classmate compliments.

Speaking of my alma mater, I posted this pic spring of my senior year and recently was reading through my old blog posts (duh! you should too ;) -  so I made this my background:



I have gotten 4+ compliments on how pretty the picture is from random customers/co-workers. Even if I'm wearing sweats! The campus was breathtaking in the spring.

Speaking of college, my baby sister went to school Monday. I never felt old when I graduated, but the fact that the youngest is off to college makes me feel ancient. Like, a fossil. If she's in college, I can't be too far off from retirement. I remember distinctly WHEN SHE WAS BORN. It's one of those things about being the oldest child - it is a surreal feeling remembering someone's birth (since you of course can't remember your own) and then watching them go to college. Of course, if you're a parent reading this I'm sure you're thinking "You have no idea."

Brings me to another point: You know you're old when your friends start having kids on purpose. I mean, when did facebook turn into document-life-milestones-including-engagements-weddings-and-babies-book?

No fear though, I'm still using FB exclusively to post stupid statuses and blog posts. Like this one. You're welcome.

(p.s. The title of this post was originally "Elder" due to feeling old with Baby leaving the nest, but obviously that was kind of weird so I made it into a random Harry Potter reference. Equally, if not more, weird - but unarguably better. Thus, more evidence of my hypothesis "Harry Potter references are better than non-Harry Potter references.")

No comments

Post a Comment