A Quick Trip: Cincy

Monday, June 1, 2015

One funny thing about growing up in Pittsburgh is I was kind of trained to detest Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore all in the name of the mighty Pittsburgh Steelers. BUT, then when I moved to Wisconsin anytime I meet anyone from one of those three places I feel like we have a connection—we're not so different after all.

Funny how moving can give you a whole new perspective. I highly recommend a far move-away-from-home at some point in your life, even if just for a year or two; it allows you to see things in a new light.

My sister now lives in Cincinnati, and for Memorial Day weekend I took a quick trip there to go to a wedding with her. It was, all in all, a great weekend. Even if you don't have an awesome twin sister residing there, thought I'd share a few fun ideas of things to do in the area!

1. Brunch at Sleepy Bee Cafe


This delicious brunch spot is walking distance from where my sister lives (in Oakley), and, although you should plan on waiting a bit on the weekends (it's a hot spot!) the local food is on point. I ordered a delicious omelet, but only thought to capture the giant cookie on camera. GET THE COOKIE. It has like a million things in it and is delicious.

2. Hike in Ault Park

Sometimes I think we wear too much lululemon if that's possible ;)
Before brunch, we had a nice Saturday morning hike with Becky's boyfriend and his dog in Ault Park. There are tons of trails and gardens, and we saw people taking family photos there (it's that pretty!) Worth checking out. Of course, I left my phone in the car (something I've been enjoying doing lately) so we only snapped this one picture on Becky's boyfriend's phone post-hike.

3. Visit Krohns Conservatory in Eden Park


I always enjoy wandering through conservatories and gardens (see this post on the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh and this one on the Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison) and this one was no exception. Krohn Conservatory is not near as big as the Phipps in Pittsburgh, but they did have a fun "butterflies from the Phillipines" exhibit going on. Butterflies, although photogenic, are seldom still. But I did snap a few pics.



The conservatory is in Eden Park and from it you can easily walk to this overlook of the Ohio River. The Ohio River meets the Allegheny and Monongahela in Pittsburgh, so I always like seeing it. Reminds me of home.

4. Snack at Yagoot

I'm somewhat of a frozen yogurt connoisseur (that's something to brag about, I know) and Yagoot was exceptional! We went twice in three days. That good, you guys. We went to the location in Rockwood Commons, which is a shopping center that includes a J. Crew Factory and a Whole Foods. A nice place to shop!

And, on my Cincy still to-do list is to catch a Reds Game at the Great American Ballpark, of course.

Pre-wedding - both wearing J. Crew :)

Happy June, friends! xx

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live in Cincy - we'll have to check these out! Although nothing can beat Graeter's in the "sweet & cold treat" department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graeter's is the best thing ever!!!! :) Good point, Tara! Love it.

      Delete