An Old Love Story and a New Puppy

Monday, May 11, 2015

On June 25 of 1946, Don was discharged from the U.S. Navy. He had just finished a 30-day "cruise" from Japan to San Francisco, with 4,000 other passengers. He slept on the sixth bunk on an eight-bed-high bunk bed. 

A month later, in Nebraska City, Nebraska, he met Mary. Three months later, on October 25, they got married in Omaha at a courthouse. They found a pastor from a random church to marry them, and pulled two little old church ladies from a simultaneous church pot luck to be their witnesses.


They have been married for 68 years.

Doesn't that sound like something a couple would say at the beginning of When Harry Met Sally?

That's the story of how my Great-Uncle Don and Great-Aunt Mary met. Mary is my dad's mom's sister. My parents and I drove out to Nebraska this past weekend to visit them, and a slew of other Nebraskan relatives. I was born in Omaha, but haven't lived in Nebraska since I was 9 months old.

I've always enjoyed traveling, even from a young age, but it took me a while to realize it really is the people I meet and interact with while traveling, even more than the places I've seen, that stay with me the longest.

Everyone has stories to tell — and hearing other people's stories helps me make sense of my own :)

I'll be driving back to Wisconsin from Nebraska tomorrow, but hope to be back to posting on Wednesday!


p.s. The pictures are of my cousin's new puppy, Cope. Isn't he adorable? I realize they are not in anyway related to the story (except, of course, I met Cope in Nebraska on the same trip I heard this story), but to me, one of the most challenging parts of blogging is this NEED for high quality images. If I have a good story, I want to share it, whether or not I have a high-resolution edited image. So, I decided to take this stance: If I have a good story, I'll share it. And if I have no new related pictures, I'll share dog or cat pictures. Because, if you don't like dog or cat pictures, what is wrong with you? :) And, of course, I'm an adamant a cat person, but this little guy is trying to make me a convert! 

No comments

Post a Comment