Mom's Meals: Buttermilk Biscuits

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Mom's Meals is a series where I share recipes from a culinary wizard, my mother, that I've somehow been able to make, even though I once started a fire while attempting to boil water.

Behold: the best possible use of your evening/weekend/life. Make these biscuits and thank me later.

Here's what you need:

2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick - can microwave at low power to soften)
3/4 cup buttermilk
Who knew that's how cream of tartar looked!? 
These are one of my favorite things my mom makes. She got the recipe from a friend, Lillian, who was raised in the South. So they have the Southern influence as well as a full stick of butter. Is there any better combo?

Here's what you do:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mix dry ingredients with a fork. Cut in softened shortening (aka butter).
Stir in buttermilk.
Turn out on floured board and knead only 14 times.
(The less you mess with the dough the more tender your biscuits.)

Pat out by hand and cut.
(use a heart-shaped cutter if you're a cheeseball like me.)



Makes about 12 biscuits.
Bake on slightly greased cookie sheet at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Eat all of them and share none of them!


The best way to eat them: Probably with sausage and gravy, like my mom makes. If you have any clue how to make sausage and gravy (I don't) - you should.

obviously, the pictures don't do them justice.
How I usually eat them: With butter, drenched honey, or plain. There's no way to eat these wrong. Pure, simple southern joy.

Enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment