I cooked one thing! In a crock pot, obviously.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My mom is a wonderful cook.

High school friend growing up: "Every meal in your house is like a festival!"

My boyfriend is also a wonderful cook.

His simple philosophy: "I love to eat, therefore I cook."

My fool-proof philosophy: "I love to eat, therefore my mom and boyfriend cook."

But in the name of constant self improvement (or at least haphazard occasional self improvement) I have mastered exactly one meal. (drum-roll please)

it's better than it looks - I'm no food photographer ;)
Ingredients:
The protein and seasoning: 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs | 2 tsp chili powder | 2 tsp ground cumin | 3/4 tsp salt
The things you must cut with a knife: 1 green bell pepper, diced | 1 medium sized onion, chopped | 3 cloves garlic, minced
The things you just open and pour in: 1 cup chunky salsa |1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes | 1 can (15 oz) black beans
Optional toppings: sour cream | avocado | shredded cheese | chips

I found this recipe in the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Bible that my former roommate got me as a gift. I believe this is the only recipe I have ever attempted from said cookbook, but I've made it multiple times, and I love this recipe, so I love this cook book (thanks, Klaire!)

Chicken and Black Bean Chili is my go-to for a number of reasons:

1. Do you live somewhere where the temperature is already dropping dangerously close to 32 degrees? Instead of crying in a ball on the floor of your bedroom, MAKE CHILI! And then cry in a ball on the floor of your bedroom.

2. Sour cream as a topping! If you don't like sour cream, I don't know what's wrong with you. (My boyfriend hates sour cream.) Sour cream is the whip cream of the entree kingdom. If you don't like whip cream, then I assume you say "no whip" when ordering things at Starbucks, and, once again, I don't know what's wrong with you.

3. Crock Pot = No oven OR stove! When I venture into the abyss that is my kitchen, I like using very small amounts of it; thus, reducing my chances of burning down my apartment complex.

4. Shredded Cheese. And on the eighth day, God created shredded cheese.

The hardest part is going to the grocery store and motivating yourself to cook. I know, you'd rather spend your time watching HGTV/football/TLC and ordering pizza. We all would. Just go, buy your stuff. And then here's what you do. So easy I'll make it 6 sentences:

Cut chicken into 1-inch (or so) pieces, and coat it in crock pot with chili pepper, cumin, and salt.
Add onion and bell pepper and garlic, add to pot and stir.
Stir in diced tomatoes (not drained), and salsa.
Cook on high for 2.5-3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
Add drained and rinse black beans to the mix and cook on high for 10 mins.
Serve & enjoy!



I know people who say "If I can do it, you can do it!" usually come off as self-deprecating. But, seriously you guys, I didn't know how to make pasta until my senior year of college - and once started a fire doing so. You can do this. Go forth and crock pot.

1 comment:

  1. I love your chicken chili! I don't consider the chips optional though!

    ReplyDelete