Mom's Meals: Beef Stroganoff

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Mom's Meals is a series where I share recipes from my kitchen-wizard mother that I have managed to replicate, even though I once started a fire while boiling water.

--

When I was a child, I detested mushrooms and onions. Yuck! Now, I'm sharing a recipe where onions and mushrooms are key players.

Proof, ladies and gentlemen, that people can change. I also used to be extremely talkative, and even teeter near the edge of annoying, can you believe it?


Without further ado, the meal that Stephen claims is way better than the Noodles & Company rendition.*

*A huge compliment for someone who would happily eat Noodles & Co. daily.


What you need:

1 lb. beef (I use boneless rib steak)
Flour
2 T olive oil
1 can (14 oz.) beef broth
4 T butter (half a stick)
1 large onion
3/4 lb mushrooms
~1 c. sour cream
Egg noodles (to serve with)



What you do:
Slice beef into strips. (I do bite-size little strips.)

Put flour in small bowl and press beef in flour to coat.

Cook coated beef until brown in 2 T olive oil in frying pan.

Reduce heat to low, pour can of beef broth into frying pan, cover, and simmer until meat is tender. Remove cover and stir occasionally.

Rinse mushrooms and slice, if necessary. Dice onion.

In small skillet, saute onion and sliced mushrooms in 4 T butter.

Stir this into the beef a little while before serving, and leave cover off.

Stir in sour cream just a few minutes before serving and heat.

Serve immediately over egg noodles.

It's a delicious, hearty meal. I recommend buying pre-sliced mushrooms (because duh) and dating someone who is good at slicing onions (I literally bawl when I cut onions). 

Enjoy!!

No comments

Post a Comment