Read This: The Cuckoo's Calling

Monday, August 3, 2015

Although I've read quite a bit this summer so far (including finally finishing this classic!), I haven't done a book review since June. Sorry, guys! I blame the travel (Chicago, Florida, and Pennsylvania), the move, and the beautiful weather beckoning me outside and away from my computer. But! I recently finished a book that was so good I had to share it with you all:

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

I'm not going to lie, the sole reason I wanted to read this book is because Robert Galbraith is J.K. Rowling. Who doesn't love J.K.?? I didn't read it sooner because I'd heard mixed reviews about her non-wizarding-school books, but I'm glad I finally cracked it open.

I don't read mysteries often and this book made me want to further explore the genre. Cormoran Strike is a Private Investigator in London who has fallen on some hard times—his relationship is tumultuous, his financial situation destitute, and his prosthetic leg (from an army injury) is causing him some trouble. Right when it seems his business is petering out, he gets a new temporary secretary, Robin, who's incredibly helpful, and a high-profile case.

Celebrity model Lula Landry fell to her death from her third-story balcony, and, although police ruled it a suicide, her brother isn't convinced. He hires Strike to get to the bottom of things.

This page-turner includes many a twist and the classic character development Rowling is known for. It was one of those "I can't put this down" books for me. (Which was a shame, because I should have been packing boxes instead of reading. Oh well!) I found myself contemplating getting absorbed in the details of the case, and thinking about it almost constantly.

I only had a couple of critiques, and I'm wondering if this is maybe just how all mysteries are, but, as I said, I'm not well-versed in the genre. One, I get that an Investigator has to interview everyone under the sun related to his case, but I found some of the interviews much more exciting than others. I might have even cut a couple? (Just my opinion!) Two, although the crime was, of course, solved at the end of the book, I didn't feel like there was resolution with all other non-crime related plot lines.

Still, I really enjoyed this story and I'm going to try to get a copy of the next book in the Strike series The Silkwormand I'll let you know what I think. Have you read any good mysteries lately? Would love to hear your recommendations!

p.s. Apparently Rowling/Galbraith wants to write seven Cormoran Strike books, with the third one is set to release sometime this fall.

No comments

Post a Comment