Mom's Meals: Lemon Pork Chops

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Since I'm assuming you're coming back from a long weekend of serious cooking*, I thought I'd share a very easy meal this week! My mom claims this isn't her best recipe, but it's certainly one of her easiest. I like it because I can get in the routine of eating chicken, chicken, and more chicken (proof here, here, and here), and it's always good to keep things eclectic and give some love to "the other white meat."

Plus, what guy doesn't love pork? (Answer: vegetarian or vegan guys, duh.) (Fun fact: I once threw a poorly-themed house party where the only rules were "no drugs or vegans." Since I am, of course, a radiant beam of acceptance of others, I did let one vegan through the door.) (Idea: Is there a vegan-only dating site? I feel like this needs to happen. It's so key! If my boyfriend wasn't a whole-hearted carnivore, I'm not sure our relationship would work.) (Four parentheses in a row? And you thought I'd never reach such a milestone!)

Okay, here is what you need. Four ingredients. I know you want to come home from work and melt into your couch, but, I beseech you, go to the grocery store and hunt and gather these goods! You can do this. Your caveman ancestors would be proud.


Ingredients: 
Boneless Pork Loin Chops
Brown Sugar
Ketchup
Lemon

if you think the sauce looks gross, you have then never had a delicious juicy pork chop and I pity you.

Steps:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Rinse the lemon and slice it up, removing all the seeds.
Cut the fat off from around the edges of the pork chops and place them in an ungreased baking dish.
Top each pork chop with a lemon slice, some brown sugar (~1 tbsp or more per chop) and some ketchup (~1tbsp or more per chop)
Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes
After 30 minutes, uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes
Enjoy!



When you eat them, you carefully remove the lemon and scrape the ketchup back onto the chop. It's surprising just how much flavor the lemon adds to the pork chops. My mom advises: do not make this meal if you don't have lemons! They add a lot more to the dish than you may originally think. You know what they say, when life gives you lemons, make some pork chops and call it a day.

--

p.s. I am working on making these so the recipes are easily printable. :)

*Even I whipped up a green bean casserole over the long weekend, so I can only assume the averagely domestic citizen did about 10 times that much. ;)

No comments

Post a Comment